Falaise Pocket July

Moderators: Søren Frost, Kristoffer

Nicolai Bang Foss

Re: Falaise Pocket July

Postby Nicolai Bang Foss » Wed 05 Jul, 2017 12:08

Velkommen tilbage Jens - det bliver hyggeligt at se dig igen!

Jens Glad Lind

Postby Jens Glad Lind » Wed 05 Jul, 2017 13:20

Tak.

Per Plambech Hansen

Postby Per Plambech Hansen » Thu 06 Jul, 2017 10:56

Jeg lovede lige at melde tilbage. Nej jeg kan ikke spille næste onsdag pga. ferie.

I det hele taget de næste 3 uger er helt sort for mig.

Men god kamp til jer andre.

Wkeyser

Postby Wkeyser » Fri 07 Jul, 2017 09:20

Hi Per
No problem, it looks like we might be playing a few more these any way, I am thinking either Market Garden or Crete. But first Falaise.

We played last Wednesday and it worked great, I have found the final version of the rules and cheet sheets that we are going to use, any one who wants a copy send me your email and I will send you a copy.

We are not going to play on the 15th but we will play an extra evening on the 20th of July. I will also extend the reservation on the front room for two more Wednesdays so we can finish the campaign game.

We still have room for two more players so let me know here.

William
"Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery."

"Wargaming is a continuation of reading history by other means"

Wkeyser

Postby Wkeyser » Thu 13 Jul, 2017 10:02

First day of fighting was heavy, the 51st Div captured May sur Orne, while the canadians captured Rocquancort and Tilly. They took only light casualites but the german 168th regiment was shattered defending.

However, the allies are close to keeping to the historical results. See the map above. By the night of the 8/9 they had taken St Aignan and Cintheaux. But the Hitlerjugend division is moving into place for the killing counter attack.

Next week we will play on the Wednesday and Thursday.

William
"Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery."

Jens Glad Lind

Postby Jens Glad Lind » Wed 19 Jul, 2017 11:39

Sorry, but I won't be able to make it on thursday anyway :-(
I have a big grillparty on saturday which I'm organizing, and it's taking up a bit more time than anticipated.

Jens Glad Lind

Postby Jens Glad Lind » Wed 19 Jul, 2017 14:12

Hejsa. Jeg er først i klubben EFTER dagens tour de France etape. Det er SIMPELTHEN for spændende ;-)

Wkeyser

Postby Wkeyser » Thu 20 Jul, 2017 08:09

A daring attack by two companies of panthers from the 12th SS Panzer Division Hitlerjugend raced down the road from Granville towards May Sur Orne, attacking command elements of the Polish armored Division and the 2nd Canadian division. Without any protection the command elements where over run, setting back the Allied attack to the point where they did not have enough resources to capture Falaise in the 10 days allotted. Guderian would be proud of the use of armor!

We will reset and start again, this we are all aware of the danger of having ones Division command units exposed, you lose 10 activation points and it starts back at the table edge the next day.

The game revolves around the resources the gamers have, and the ability to keep fresh forces on the front line. For the allies the have to keep pulling tired divisions off the front line to refresh and re-equip them, for the Germans this is hard with only a 1/3 of the resources points that the allies have and only two divisions fighting vrs the allies 4 food divisions and 2 armored divisions they can only try and pull out the individual regiments to reform, or reform those that are over run. The game presents some very interesting choices for both sides.

Wkeyser

Postby Wkeyser » Thu 27 Jul, 2017 13:34

Well we reset and started again we played day one, and the allies changed thier axis of attack, they are now trying to come up on to the East of the main road to Fallise. The Highlanders swept past the woods around la Houge and moved up deployed and over ran the twon of St, Sylain. The Candains moved up and over ran La Houge and Tilly.

The Allies have moved up further than our last two games, however, the Germans have taken 50% less casualties in the attack, being able to pull back the troops in Tilly.

The next days fighting will be on the 9th of August. Due to various wimps claiming to be on vacation!!!!

The game really works well, the abstractons of the activation points really force the allied commander to husband his resources with the knowlege that he has a long fight and lots of ground to cover. The German has othe problems, being out numbered more than two to one on the first day and then potentially facing even more allies from then on he has to slow the allies down and force them to use resources and hope that he can reconsitute the battlions that have been overrun!

Day two it looks like the Allies will now be fighting good troops of the 12th SS Panzer Division as opposed to the raw troops of the 89th Infantry Divison he has faced on the first day.

William
Jens and Jens calling in artillery!!!!

Waiting for the Candians on the road to Falaise.

Jens F Hansen

Postby Jens F Hansen » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 09:15

As over all commander I will take my leave and deligate the operation to my 2nd. in command and keep an eye on the progress from my place of R and R.
All is going acording to plan and we will reach the goal ahead of time and cut of the bulk of the german army.

Good luck gentelmen.

Jens
Attachments
partytime.JPG
Time to party
partytime.JPG (119.23 KiB) Viewed 300 times
Adventures famous last words: I think the dragon is sleeping.

Wkeyser

Postby Wkeyser » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 08:22

Hi Guys
In reading more about the battle I found that the tank ace Whittman was killed during the allied attacks. So now we know that the Tiger Jens G knocked out must have been him!!!!!!

On 8 August 1944, Anglo-Canadian forces launched Operation Totalize. Under the cover of darkness, British and Canadian tanks and soldiers seized the tactically important high ground near the town of Saint-Aignan-de-Cramesnil. Here they paused, awaiting an aerial bombardment that would signal the next phase of the attack. Unaware of the reason the Allied forces had halted, Kurt Meyer, of the SS Hitlerjugend Division, ordered elements of his command to counterattack and recapture the high ground.[39][40]

Wittmann led a group of seven Tiger tanks, from the Heavy SS-Panzer Battalion 101, supported by additional tanks and infantry. His group of Tigers, crossing open terrain towards the high ground, was ambushed by tanks from A Squadron 1st Northamptonshire Yeomanry, A Squadron Sherbrooke Fusilier Regiment, and B Squadron 144th Regiment Royal Armoured Corps.[41] During the ambush, anti-tank shells – fired from either the British or Canadian tanks – penetrated the upper hull of Wittmann's tank, igniting the ammunition. The resulting fire engulfed the tank and blew off the turret.[42] The crew of the destroyed tank were buried in an unmarked grave. In 1983, the German war graves commission located the burial site. Wittmann and his crew were reinterred together at the La Cambe German war cemetery in France.[43]

Photograph of the wrecked Tiger 007, taken by French civilian Serge Varin in 1945, still in the field near Gaumesnil where it had been stopped a year before

Wkeyser

Postby Wkeyser » Mon 04 Sep, 2017 10:29

Been reading Ken Touts book on Falaise "A fine night for Tanks" which gives a really good picture of the battle, I also found this.

https://www.canadiansoldiers.com/histor ... alaise.htm

Canadians in Falaise

Another one I just down loaded to my Kindle but looks promising.
No Holding Back: Operation Totalize, Normandy, August 1944 (Stackpole Military History Series)
William

Stefan Karolyi-Brink

Postby Stefan Karolyi-Brink » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 13:36

Jeg melder fra til i dag :(

Return to “År: 1914 - ???? : Moderne”