Coral Sea Battle, Flat Top Double Blind

Moderator: Martin C. Rasmussen

Thomas Persson

Coral Sea Battle, Flat Top Double Blind

Postby Thomas Persson » Thu 26 Oct, 2017 16:00

Hi again,

I've added a Coral Sea Battle to the Calender and was planning to start on the 15/11. Please post a comment if you want to participate. If you want to get a feel for what the game is about, just read the AAR's posted under Flat Top Double Blind. Flat Top is a game of carrier warfare in the Pacific played at operational level. It's done double blind with me as gamemaster.

I was planning to email some maps and briefing notes to the players who wants to be commanders of the USN and IJN so that they can prepare ahead of the first game.

Hoping to find some players

Cheers

Thomas

Thomas Persson

Re: Coral Sea Battle, Flat Top Double Blind

Postby Thomas Persson » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 10:57

For some overview of the battle and some inspiration, these USN training films can be watched:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d2HbbZOKLU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66MvGHJx9zg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3tQkgXDYlg

Jens Glad Lind

Postby Jens Glad Lind » Tue 07 Nov, 2017 11:56

If it doesn't interfer with the Arnhem game I would like to play 8) :D

Thomas Persson

Postby Thomas Persson » Fri 10 Nov, 2017 18:34

You’re very welcome. I don’t see anything else scheduled for those days. Which side would you prefer IJN or USN? I can send you material before the game so you can prepare an overall strategy. If so, I’ll need an email adress.

Cheers

Thomas

Wkeyser

Postby Wkeyser » Sat 11 Nov, 2017 06:53

Hi Thomas
I would like to join and I think Stefan is also in.
William
"Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery."

"Wargaming is a continuation of reading history by other means"

Thomas Persson

Postby Thomas Persson » Sat 11 Nov, 2017 13:09

You’re very welcome. Any preference between IJN or USN?

Cheers

Thomas

Thomas Persson

Postby Thomas Persson » Mon 13 Nov, 2017 08:50

Sorry guys but I got a work thing that I'll have to do on Wednesday. Therefore, no battle on the 15/11.

Sorry about that.

Thomas

Jens Glad Lind

Postby Jens Glad Lind » Mon 13 Nov, 2017 09:50

:(

Stefan Karolyi-Brink

Postby Stefan Karolyi-Brink » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 22:16

Any news regarding this? Can't wait to kill those US carriers 8)

Jens Glad Lind

Postby Jens Glad Lind » Tue 21 Nov, 2017 10:46

:? Can't make wednesday as I'm off to see my niece do a schoolplay.

Jens Glad Lind

Postby Jens Glad Lind » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 10:31

Kommer med stor sandsynlighed ikke i dag, da jeg har premiere på mit teaters juleforestilling på tirsdag (lots and lots to do :cry: :cry: :cry: )

Thomas Persson

AAR 1

Postby Thomas Persson » Fri 08 Dec, 2017 07:52

Battle of Coral Sea

4 May 1942, 01:00 – 17:00

USN vs IJN

Written as best I recall it.

The battle began with an encounter between an IJN and a USN submarine in the China Strait, just E of New Guinea. Because of darkness, both subs were operating on the surface. The IJN sub got a solid torpedo hit on the USN sub and it sank in minutes. The hours up to dawn saw considerable sub and air search operations around China Straits and Jomnard passage. The USN managed retaliate when they caught an IJN sub, again in China Strait and attacked it with two USN subs which proved too much for the poor IJN Captain.

Both sides had evidently prepared to exchange strikes between the nearby air bases, the IJN Lae and the Australian Port Moresby. The IJN were woken up by frantic radio calls from ground forces that USN aviation was crossing the mountain ridge on a straight path for Lae. The USN came in with a massive bombing raid consisting of 15 B-17, 15 B-25 and 36 B-26. The IJN CAP intercepted and shot down some B-17 but suffered badly in return. .50 BMG is lethal for wooden planes with unprotected fuel tanks. The bombers cheered seeing the land-ing field full of IJN planes fully loaded and armed. The strike caused massive devastation put-ting the base out of action for most of the day and caused considerable loss of IJN planes.

Around the same time IJN 9 Zeros,15 Betty and 6 Nell bombers came in on Port Moresby from the NE. Also the IJN bombers found USN aircrafts on the runway, but as these had just returned from missions they were low on fuel and unarmed. The IJN strike did some damage and knocked out a number of planes but damaged was considerably less than in Lae.

During the most of the day there was fairly little contact between the sides. Australian coast-watchers observed some IJN ship movement along the S coast of New Britain around Gua-dalcanal.

Around 12:00 IJN reconnaissance planes detected several USN ship groups W Rennel Island, S of Guadalcanal. Going closer to investigate the IJN found two task forces consisting of a single oil tanker each. An IJN Mavis closed in on two task forces sailing side by side and counted two aircraft carriers, seven heavy cruisers, one light cruiser and 14 destroyers. The Mavis had just managed to report this back to Rabaul, when it was blasted out of the sky by Wildcats flying CAP over the carriers. IJN now had a target and airstrikes could be coming in on the USN carriers at any moment.

There were many contacts between USN ships in the area and IJN reconnaissance during the next few hours but no strikes.

USN now got reports from Australian coast guards that an IJN task forces was leaving Tulagi and sailing S. This was probably the task forces that had invaded Tulagi on the 3 May.

Back in the China Strait an IJN sub ambushed a USN sub and sank it. It seems both sides consider China Strait to be of prime tactical importance.

12 USN Dauntlesses flying N, just E of Vella Lavella, flew straight into what seemed as a full IJN carrier strike consisting of 18 Zeros, 21 Vals and 21 Kates. The IJN planes dropped their weapons and intercepted the USN which found itself in one massive fur ball. The USN dropped their bombs and fought back but didn’t last long being so enormously outnumbered.

The IJN task force sailing S from Tulagi was now approached by two USN air formation. The IJN task force was found to consist of two destroyers and five patrol craft. The two USN for-mations of Dauntlesses attacked and crippled an IJN destroyer. An hour later a second USN air formation came in and sunk the other IJN destroyer.

An USN Catalina also detected an IJN task force SE Vanguna that it decided to investigate. The IJN task force consisted of the sea plane tender Kamikawa Maru and an oil tanker. The Catalina decided to try to torpedo the tanker. Nothing came of the attack and the IJN anti-aircraft fire was equally unsuccessful.

Just before game end, a small IJN strike came in on a USN carrier groups W of Rennel Is-land. The IJN strike consisted of 12 Kate torpedo bombers and three Zeros. The carrier had no CAP in the air but fought back with anti-aircraft fire downing three Kates. The remaining Kates launched their torpedoes scoring a lucky three hits on the carrier. A torpedo hitting aft knocked two propeller shaft out of alignment forcing an immediate shutdown of port turbines reducing speed to half. The two other torpedoes partially buckled the flight deck and put two out of three catapults out of action.

Nicolai Bang Foss

Postby Nicolai Bang Foss » Fri 08 Dec, 2017 09:22

Cool - det så sjovt ud

Jens Glad Lind

Postby Jens Glad Lind » Wed 13 Dec, 2017 14:12

Kommer ikke i dag pga sygdom :(

Return to “Søslag/luftkampe (alle perioder)”